BBQ Bison Burgers With Fried Onions
Buffalo burgers on the grill are the perfect summer dish. Add some fried onions, cheese, and bbq, and the result will please all your friends.
Total Time: 1 hour, Prep: 20 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Servings: 3 burgers
- 1 lb ground 100% grass-fed buffalo
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbls bbq sauce + more for topping burgers
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 small onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup of flour (for dredging)
- 2 cups high heat oil (I prefer grapeseed or peanut)
- 3 buns (I prefer whole wheat but any will do)
- 3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- Mix together all the burger patty ingredients. Form into 3 patties. Place patties on a plat and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (to firm them up a bit).
- Heat the grill so it reaches between 400-500 degrees farenheit
- Mix the 3 minced cloves of garlic with the 1/4 cup olive oil and set aside (from the Burger section)
- Heat the high heat oil for the onions. Place the flour in a bowl and then dump the onion strips into the flour. Shake/stir to make sure they are all well coated.
- Once the oil sizzles when you drop a test onion in, it is ready. Dump all the onions into the oil and wait until they are golden brown (a few minutes). Remove them from the oil and place onto a papertowel to drain.
- Remove the burgers from the freezer. Make sure the grill is at least 400 degrees farenheit, preferably closer to 500. Oil the grill grates well.
- Place the burgers on the grill, about 3 minutes per side. If using cheese, place the cheese directly onto the burger 1 minute after flipping it.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and let rest. While the burgers are resting, brush the garlic oil onto the buns and grill those until they are slightly toasted.
- To assemble the burgers, place the burger patty on the bun, the fried onions on top of that, and finish it of with some bbq sauce and/or any other condiments you prefer.